Research & Development
- Slabs were easily declared favorite type of building with clay due to it not being based around strict methods for building. It was more of a free hand/at will type building that had little secrets. Requires longer duration to clean up marks to give it that clean and smooth look
- In a response to the piece as a whole, connecting a completely different concept was the goal here. Whereas the letter "H" and "clowns" are completely different from one another on a scale. A spherical nose was added in the middle to so the viewer would not notice the arch within the piece. The drawings were done for fun and later just connected with the composition as a whole.. thus the clown was thought of.
- Based off the images, one can definitely see that smoothing the interior of the letter was the difficult spot to get. Due to there still being small pieces of clay and cleaning marks from the ribs.
- The "H" although is a overall good composition it still has its cons. One major one would be the simple fact that the sides are not a complete 90 degree angle. If you look closely at the bottom right picture, you can definitely see how the piece has a slight bend/distortion to it.
- Finally, the letter "H" was chosen because it felt a lot more simpler than the others. Though the issues with the "H" is that on one side the bridge in the middle created 2 perfect implied middle rectangles with the upper and lower negative space. But on the other side, seeing as though it all wasn't cut out in one piece of clay like the other side.. it created a arch with the lower negative space. Not that it's bad but it definitely is bothering.
- A challenge that was presented to the class was to essentially make a hand built slab "letter". Based off the images it took three stages in order for satisfaction to be met.
- The lowercase letter "i" did not work simply because of the "dot" at the top had to be done as a perfect sphere and kept turning out in a oval shape.
- The uppercase "L" did not work simply because of scale and being even. The lower leg that goes out was not the perfect rectangular shape and the upper body that stands horizontal did not have perfect rectangular shape as well. Thus the "L" does not look straight but is rather leaning.
- In comparison to slabs, when hand building with coils.. essentially there is no excitement at all. Now they can be fun when the craftsmanship is hidden. But when looking at a overall composition as a whole in the end it just always looks sloppy and messy.
- This piece was just built in order to fulfill a challenge.. No sense of compassion and love for it at all.
- However, one can argue the interesting visual movement within this composition. One automatically thinks snake when building a piece with coils but the way it was constructed and placed throughout the composition makes it more interesting than the concept itself.
- Not a lot of work progression and research is shown due to lack of interest in the piece thus picture taking was not applied (TIP: ALWAYS TAKE PICTURES NO MATTER HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE PIECE)